The history of formal education in Meghalaya has been a recent one commencing with the formulation of a Khasi Alphabet in 1842 by Rev Thomas Jones, a Welsh missionary. Similarly for the Garo Hills, a Garo Alphabet was evolved in 1902 by American missionaries using the Roman script.Thus the Christian missionaries were the first to start modern education in the Khasi, Jaintia and Garo Hills. With requirements for a literate society not being high in colonial times, only a few elementary schools were functioning in what is now known as Meghalaya.
The first college was established in Shillong only in 1924 by the Christian Brothers of Ireland. Being a hill station blessed with bracing weather and having a strong colonial influence, several quality colleges and public schools have been established over the years. The alumni of these schools is spread all over the country and their footprints are also found all over the world. Some of them hold very distinguished positions and occupy high offices in foreign countries, as well.
Shillong: Destination for Higher Learning
Hosted by National Informatics Centre, Meghalaya State Centre
Site Designed, Content maintained & updated by Department of Education, Government of Meghalaya, India