Scheme for post-matric scholarships to SC and ST for studies in India
Regulations governing the ward of scholarships – 1988 - 89 and onwards (applicable from 1st July, 1989)
The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribe students studying at Post-Matriculation or Post-Secondary stage to enable them to complete their education.
These scholarships are available for studies in India only and are awarded by the Government of the State/Union Territory to which the applicant actually belongs i.e. permanently settled.
III. CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY:
- The scholarships are open to nationals of India.
- These scholarships will be given for the study of all recognized post-matriculation or post-secondary courses pursued in recognized institutions with the following exceptions:-“Scholarships are not awarded for training courses like Aircraft Maintenance Engineer’s Courses and Private Pilot, License Courses, Courses at Training Ship Dufferen (Now Rajendra) courses of training at the Military College, Dehradun, Courses at Pre-Examination Training Centres of all India and State levels and Trade Courses at the Industrial Training Institute”
- Only those candidates who belong to Schedule Castes and Scheduled Tribes so specified in relation to the State/Union Territory to which the applicant actually belongs i.e. permanently settled and who have passed the Matriculation or Higher Secondary or any higher examination of a recognized University or Board of Secondary Education will be eligible.
- Candidates who after passing one stage of education are studying in the same stage of education in different subjects i.e. I.Sc. after I.A or B.Com after B.A. or M.A. in one subject after M.A. in other subject will not be eligible.
- Candidates who, after having completed their educational career in one professional line continue professional studies in a different line e.g. LLB. After B.T./B.Ed. will not be eligible. From the academic year 1980-81, studies in two professional courses allowed (Authority: F.No.11017/37/79-SC&BCD.III dated 20.06.1980.
- Students studying in Class XI of the Higher Secondary School courses or the XII class of the Multipurpose High School will not be eligible for it being a continuous school courses, However, in cases, where 10th Class Examination of such courses is treated as equivalent to matriculation and students who after passing 10th Class join other courses, such students will be treated as post-matric student and will be eligible for award of scholarships.
- Students pursuing post-graduate courses in medicine will be eligible if they are not allowed to practice during the period of their course.
- Candidates who after failing or passing the under graduate/graduate/post graduate examinations in Arts/Science/Commerce join any recognized professional or Technical Certificate/Diploma/Degree Courses will be awarded scholarships if otherwise eligible. No subsequent failure will be condoned (except Medical and Engineering courses) and no further change in the course will be allowed.
- Candidates who pursue their studies through correspondence courses will be eligible towards reimbursement of non refundable fee with effect from 01.07.1989 onwards. The term correspondence course includes distant and continuing education.
- Students who are in full-time employment will not be eligible. However, employed students who take leave without entire duration of the course and study as full time students will be eligible for scholarships. From the academic year 1988-89, employed students whose income combined with the income of their parents/guardians does not exceed Rs. 1,500/- p.m. are made eligible to post-matric scholarships to the extent reimbursement of all compulsorily payable non-refundable fees.
- Students pursuing part-time courses will not be eligible
- Only two children of the same parents/guardians will be entitled to receive scholarships. This restriction will apply to girls also.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not hold any other scholarship/stipend. If awarded any other scholarship/ a stipend, the students can exercise his option for either of the two scholar hips/stipends, whichever is more beneficial to him and should inform the awarding authority through the Head of the Institution about the option made. No scholarship will be paid to the student under this scheme from the dates he/she accepted another scholarship/stipend. The student can however, accept free lodging or a grant or Adhoc monetary help from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment or for meeting the expenses on board and lodging in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme. (Authority 11017/4/77-SCD.IV dated 05.09.1979)
- .Students who have already received coaching in any of the pre-examination training centres with financial assistance from the Government will not eligible.
The scholarships are tenable for pursuing recognized courses in the recognized institutions only.
V. VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIP
The value of scholarship includes maintenance charges, fees and expenses on approved study tours and typing/printing of thesis. The details are given below:-
Since it is clearly mentioned under the item III (Conditions of eligibility of these regulations that the scholarship will be given for the study of all recognized Post-Matriculation or Post-secondary courses pursued in recognized institutions;) the list of courses grouped (A to E) is, thus, only illustrative and not exhaustive. The State Government/Union Territory Administrations are, thus themselves competent to decide the appropriate grouping of courses at their level as devised vide this Ministry letter No. -11017/13/88-Sch.Cell, dated 03.08.1989.
Reader charges for Blind students (Blind Scholars)
The Blind Scholars will be given additional amount as “Readers” charges, as mentioned below:-
|A, B & C||100|
Scholars will be paid enrolment/registration, tuition, games, Union, Library, Magazine, Medical Examination and such other fees compulsory payable by the Scholar to the Institution or University/Board. Refundable deposit like caution money, security deposit will, however, be excluded.
Scholar tour upto a maximum of Rs. 100/- p.a. limited to the actual expenditure incurred by the student on transportation charges etc. Will be paid to the scholars studying professional and technical courses, provided that the Head of the Institution certifies that the study tour is essential for the scholar for the completion of his/her course of study.Thesis Typing/Printing Charges:-
- Thesis typing/printing charges upto a maximum of Rs. 600/- will also be paid to Research Scholars on the recommendation of the Head of the Institution.
- Scholars who are entitled to free board/and/or lodging will be paid maintenance charges at 1/3rd at Hostellers’ rates.
- Scholarships will be paid to the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes according to the following ‘means test’:-
|(a) In case of students whose parents/guardians income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 1,500/- per month||Full maintenance
allowance and full fee
|(b) In case of students whose parents/guardians income from all sources exceeds Rs. 1,500/- per month but does not exceed Rs. 2,000/- per month and who pursue.|
|(i)||Courses in Group A||Full maintenance
allowance and full fee
|(ii)||Courses in Groups B, C, D & E||Half maintenance allowance and full fee|
|(c) In the case of students, whose parents/ guardians’ Income from all sources exceeds Rs. 2000/- per month||No Scholarship|
Parents/Guardians will be eligible to receive scholarships for their wards not exceeding two in number. A declaration by the parents/guardians stating that not more than two of their children have availed of or are availing of scholarships should be sufficient.
So long as either of the parents (or husband in the case married unemployed girl students) are alive, only the income of the parents/ husband (as the case may be) from all sources has to be taken and of no other numbers even though they may earning. In the form of income declaration income is to be declare on this basis. Only in the case of where both parents (or husband in the case of married but unemployed girl students) have died, the income of the guardian who is supporting the student in his/her studies has to be take.
House rent allowance received by the parents of a student shall be exempted from the computation of ‘income’ if the same has been permitted to be exempted for purposes of Income Tax.
Normally the term ‘Hostel’ is applicable to a common residential building and a common mess for the students run under the supervision of the educational institution authorities. In case the college authorities are unable to provide accommodation in the college hostel as approved place of residence can also be treated as Hostel for purpose of this scheme. The place will be approved by the Head of the Institution after due inspection and keeping in view the rules and regulations laid down by the University, if any, in such cases a certificate to the effect that the student is residing in an approved place of residence as he is unable to get accommodation in the college hostel should be furnished by the Head of the Institution.
VI. SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
- All the eligible Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes candidates will be given scholarships subject to the application of Means Test prescribed in Regulation V (iii).
- Candidates belonging to one State but studying in another State will be awarded scholarships by the State to which they belong and will submit their applications to the competent authorities in that State. In the matter of exemption from fees or other concessions also they will be treated as if they were studying in their own State.
VII. DURATION AND RENEWAL OF AWARDS:
- The award once made will be tenable from the stage at which it is given to the completion of course subject to good conduct and regularly in attendance. It will be renewed from year to year provided that within a course which is continuous for a number of years, the scholar secures promotion to the next higher class irrespective of the fact whether such examinations are conducted by a University or the Institutions.
- If a Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe scholar pursuing Medical and Engineering Courses fails in the examination for the first time, the award may be renewed. For second and subsequent failure in any class the student shall bear his/her own expenses until he/she secures promotion to the next higher class.
- If a scholar is unable to appear in the annual examination owing to illness and or on account of any unforeseeable event; the award may be renewed for the next academic year on submission of medical certificate and/or sufficient proof to the satisfaction of Head of the institution and his/her certifying that the scholar would have passed had he appeared in the examination.
- If according to the regulations of a University/Institution, a student is promoted to the next higher class even though he/she may not have actually passed in lower class and is required to take examination of the junior class again after sometime, he/she will be entitled to scholarship for the class to which he/she is promoted if the student is otherwise eligible for scholarship.
Maintenance charges are payable from 1st April or from the month of admission, whichever is later, to the month in which the examinations are completed at the end of the academic year (including maintenance during holidays) provided that if the scholar secures admission after the 20th day of a month, the amount will be made from the month following the month of admission.
In case of renewal of scholarships awarded in the previous years maintenance charges will be paid from the month following the month up to which scholarship was paid in the previous year, if the course of study is continuous (e.g. intermediate Junior Intermediate, Senior Class.) All scholars are expected to purchase the necessary text books, stationery etc. out of the maintenance allowance sanctioned. If it is reported by the Head of the concerned Institution that a scholar is without textbooks, stationery etc. the value of the scholarship may be reduced at the discretion of the authority sanctioning the scholarship. The scholarship money will be paid to the selected students by the Govt. of the State/Union Territory’s Administration to which they belong in accordance with the procedure laid down by them in this regard. Scholarships will not be paid for the period of internship/houseman-ship in the M.B.B.S. courses or for a practical training in other courses if the student is in receipt of some remuneration during the internship period of some allowance/stipend during the practical training in other courses.
IX. OTHER CONDITIONS FOR THE AWARD:
- The scholarship is dependent on the satisfactory progress and conduct of the scholar. If it is reported by the Head of the Institution at any time that a scholar has by reasons of his/her own act or default failed to make satisfactory progress or has been guilty of misconduct such as resorting to or participating strikes, irregularity in attendance without the permission of the authorities concerned, etc. the authority sanctioning the scholarship may either cancel the scholarships or stop or withhold further payment for such period as it may think fit.
- If a candidate is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statements, his/her scholarship will be cancelled forthwith and the amount of the scholarship paid will be recovered, at the discretion of the concerned State Government. The student concerned will be black listed and debarred fro scholarship in any scheme forever.
- A scholarship awarded may be cancelled if the scholar changes the subject of the course of study for which the scholarships were originally awarded or changes the Institution of study, without prior approval of the State Government. The Head of the institution shall report such cases to them and stop payment of the scholarship money. The amount already paid may also be recovered at the discretion of the State Government.
- A scholar is liable to refund the scholarship amount at the discretion of the State Government if during the course of the year, the studies for which the scholarship has been awarded, is discontinued by him/her.
- The Regulations can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India.
X. ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE SCHEME
All the State Government will announce in May-June the details of the scheme and invite applications by issuing an advertisement in the leading newspapers of the State. All request for application forms and other particulars should be addressed to the Government of State/Union Territory Administration to which the scholars actually belong. The applicant should submit the completed application to the prescribed authority before the last date prescribed for receipt of applications.
XI. PROCEDURE FOR APPLYING:
- An application for scholarship should comprise:
- One copy of the application for scholarship in the prescribed form (separate application forms have been prescribed for ‘Fresh’ and renewal scholarship)
- One copy of the passport size photograph with signature of the student thereon (for fresh scholarship).
- One attested copy of certificates, diploma, degree etc., in respect of all examinations passed.
- A certificate (in original) of Caste duly signed by an authorized Revenue Officer no below the rank of Tehsildar.
- An income declaration by the parents/guardians, stating definitely income from all sources, excluding house rent allowance if the same has been exempted for purposes of Income Tax.
- A receipt in acknowledgement of the scholarship in the previous year on the form attached to the application only duly countersigned by the Head of the Institution concerned. If the applicant was in receipt of a scholarship under this scheme in the preceding year.
- Application complete in all respects shall be submitted to the Head of the Institution
being attended or last attended by the candidate and shall be addressed to an Officer
specified for this purpose by the Government of State/Union Territory to which the
student belong in accordance with the instructions issued by them from time to time.
- Incomplete application or applications received after the prescribed dated will not be considered.