GOVERNMENT OF INDIA, NORTH EASTERN COUNCIL SECRETARIAT SHILLONG – 793001
RULES FOR STIPEND AND BOOK GRANT
Stipend and Book Grant from NEC
(Under the scheme “Financial support to the students of N.E.R. for Higher Professional Courses” to be operated directly by the State of North Eastern Region).
The Secretary, NEC is pleased to make the following rules to regulate the grant of stipends and book grants to the students of the N.E. region undergoing studies in different disciplines at different levels in institutions inside as well as outside the North East but within the country as specified hereinafter. The stipends shall be awarded in subjects which are enumerated in Annexure I and which are found to be the areas/fields in which there is still a shortage of adequately trained manpower in the region.
- The rules may be called “Rules for award of stipend and book grant form NEC”. These Rules shall come into force from the year 2004-2005 and will supercede the previous rules on the above subject.
- Scope: These stipends and book grants are available for studies in India only and shall be awarded by the North Eastern States from the fund allotted by North Eastern Council Secretariat, Shillong.
- General Conditions of Eligibility: Subject to specified conditions mentioned elsewhere, the general conditions of eligibility are stated below:-
- The stipends and book grants are open only to a candidate who is a permanent resident of any of the States in the North East. The certificate to this effect obtained from the Deputy Commissioner of the district in which the candidate is a permanent resident must be produced by the candidate. Certificate from any other authority will not be accepted. However, for SC/ST applicants, the SC/ST Certificate issued by the competent authority can be considered as PRC
- The candidate should possess the relevant qualification from any recognized institution. An original certificate from the Institution of study must be produced by the candidate.
- The student must not be in receipt of any other financial assistance from any other source, except National or State Merit Scholarship. A sponsored candidate under full employment during the period of study shall not be eligible to receive the stipend.
- Financial assistance of stipend/book grant shall be admissible to students taking admission in the courses specified hereinafter in all institutes recognized by the Ministry of Human Resource Development/respective Ministry of the Government of India.
- The stipend/book grant shall be tenable for the prescribed duration of a course. A student failing to pass in a particular year shall not receive further stipend till he/she passes the specific year of the course. The Institution shall certify to that effect and make specific recommendations thereto.
- In-service candidates are not covered by this scheme.
- The maximum marks for the grant of stipend should be 55% for General /OBC/MOBC and 50% for SC/ST candidates in the relevant qualifying examination for Diploma, Degree and Post-Graduate courses.
- Selection of students form M.Phil. and Ph.D should be done on the basis of topic of research which has relevance to N.E. Region.
- Selection will be made on the basis of merit in all cases.
4. The present rate of stipends & Subject/Courses is as under:-
|Level of study||Stipend||Book-grant|
|Diploma||Rs. 900/- p.m.||Rs. 1000/- p.a.|
|Degree||Rs. 1000/- p.m.||Rs. 1400/- p.a.|
|Post Graduate||Rs. 1200/- p.m.||Rs. 2000/- p.a.|
|M.Phil||Rs. 1500/- p.m.||Rs. 3000/- p.a.|
|Ph.D.||Rs. 1500/- p.m.||Rs. 3000/- p.a.|
The rates are subject to revision form time to time. A Committee will be appointed by the Secretary, NEC for the purpose.
- The various courses of studies at different levels for which NEC’s financial assistance is admissible would be those as decided by the NEC from time to time keeping in view the requirements of specialized manpower of the North Eastern Region. The current list of courses are outlined in Annexures I (Dip), II (Degree), III (PG) and IV (Ph.D).
- The subjects/topics for M.Phil and Ph.D should invariably be directly, specifically and currently relevant to the North Eastern Region. Basic and theoretical research shall not be favoured in general. The stipends for M.Phil will be available initially for 18 months extendable by a period of 6 months/one semester and for Ph.D, stipends shall be initially for three years, extendable later by a maximum period of another one year on the basis of recommendations from the Guide of the institute. The grant of stipend for M.Phil and Ph.D. would be after the registration of the student with the University.
5. The number of stipends to be awarded every year to candidates at different levels may be decided by the State Govt. keeping in mind the fund allocation to the State Govt. However, the number may be increased or decrease at each level of study depending upon the market demand and availability of fund.
6. Reservation for OC/SC/ST/OBC:
- All candidates will first be considered under the General category.
- Reservation on the same principles as embodied in our Constitution and as followed by Govt. of India shall be followed in selection of candidates. This reservation will be made according to the percentage of SC, ST & OBC and also limited to a maximum of 50% as ruled by the Supreme Court and as followed by the Govt. of India. However, SC, ST & OBC candidates who are qualified on merit of their own as general candidates would be considered as additionality to the reservation for SC, ST & OBC. Hence, initially all candidates will be considered against the general quota.
7. Selection and Fund Release:
Selection of candidates for Diploma level upwards shall made by the State Govt. after proper advertisement and following selection procedure as outlined at Annexure V.
The stipend at stipulated rates for Diploma level and above will be paid directly by the State Govt. concerned to the respective institutions.
8. Submission of Utilization Certificate & Audit Certificate:
The State Govt. of North Eastern region shall submit every year Utilization Certificate in GFR 19A and Audit Certificate for the amount release from NEC under the Scheme “Financial support to the students of North Eastern Region for higher professional courses”.
9. In case of doubt/clarification the matter shall be referred to Director (manpower Development). North Eastern Council Secretariat, Shillong – 793001.
|Code No||Name of Subject||Courses|
|01||Textile Technology||Diploma in Textile Technology|
|02||Computer Science & Engineering||Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, BCA, DCA, PGDCA|
|03||Electronics||Diploma in Electronics Engineering|
|04||Telecom & Communication Engineering||Diploma in telecom Engineering|
|05||Automobile Engineering||Diploma in Automobile Engineering|
|06||Hotel/Travel & Tourism Management||PG Diploma in Travel & Tourism Management (1 year), Diploma in Hotel Management (3 years)|
|07||Teaching of Physically/ Mentally Handicapped||Diploma in Teaching of Physically/ Mentally Handicapped|
|08||Ceramic & Glass Technology||Diploma in Glass & or Ceramic Technology|
|09||Physical Education and Sports||Diploma in Physical Education|
|10||Fashion Technology & Design||Diploma in Fashion Technology & Design|
|11||Para-Medical including General Nursing||Diploma in Pharmacy, General Nursing & Psychiatric Nursing|
|12||Foreign Trade Management||Diploma in Foreign Trade Management|
|13||Forestry||B.Sc. (Forestry) 3 years course.|
|14||Ecology & Environment||B.Sc. (Ecology & Environment) 3 years course.|
|15||Gemology||Diploma in Gemology|
|16||Tea Technology||Diploma in Tea Technology|
|17||Leather Technology||Diploma in Leather Technology|
|18||Resin Technology||Diploma in Resin Technology|
|19||Plastic Technology||Diploma in Plastic Technology|
|20||Mass Communication||BA/B.Sc. in Mass Communication|
|21||Interior Decoration||Diploma in Interior Decoration|
|22||Indian System of Medicine||Diploma in Indian System of Medicine|
|23||Bio-Technology||Diploma in Bio-Tech, 3 years course|
|Code No||Name of Subject||Courses|
|03||Ecology & Environment||B.Tech./M.Sc.|
|08||Computer Science||B.Tech./B.E./M.Sc. (Computer Science)|
|11||Foreign Trade Management||Degree in Foreign Trade Management|
|12||Physical Education & Sports||B.P. ED., P.G. Diploma in Physical Education & sports.|
|14||Bio-Technology||B.Tech. (Bio-Tech)/M.Sc. (Bio-Tech)|
|15.||Fashion Technology & Design|
|16||Mass Communication & Journalism||M.Sc. /P.G. Diploma|
|18||Forestry||B.Tech. (Forestry)/M.Sc. (Forestry)|
|19||Medical Science||MBBS/BDS/BHMS/BAMS/BUMS/ B.PHARM.|
|22||Physiotherapy||(BPT – 4 years Course)|
|Code No||Name of Subject||Courses|
|04||Agriculture & Allied subject||M.Sc.(Agri)/M.V.Sc./M.F.Sc.|
|12||Foreign Trade||M.A. (Foreign Trade)|
|13||Physical Education & Sports||M.A. (Physical Education)|
|16||Information Technology||M.Tech (IT)|
ANNEXURE – IV
M.Phil & Ph.D.
The subject/topics for M.Phil and Ph.D should invariably be directly, specifically and currently relevant to the N.E. Region. M.Phil and Ph.D. candidates should invariably submit a synopsis of their thesis countersigned by their Guides/Supervisors.
IN-SERVICE PERSONNEL ARE NOT COVERED BY THIS SCHEME
- Elect Engineering
- ,Civil Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology,
- Food Preservation Technology
- Food & Nutrition, Dairy Technology
- Agri Marketing Management
- Ornamental & Landscape Gardening, Intellectual Property Right,
- Automobile Technology Maintenance,
- Maternity & neonatal Care
- Diabetoloty. Physiotherapy
- Horticulture Nursery Management
- Biofertilizer Produetion/Bio Pesticides Technology,
- Commercial floriculture
- Livestock Production Technology
- Post Harvest Technology
- Social Science
- Horticulture Produce
- Eleclrica1 and Telecommunication
- Electrical and Electronics
- Electrical and Hardware Maintenance
- Tool and Die Making
- Manufacturing Technology
- Printing Technology
- Photography Technology
- RlCIT (Combined ECG and X-Ray
- Ophthalmic Technology
- B.Tech. Bio Informatics
- B.Tech. Bio Medical Engineering
- B.Sc. Horticulture
- Agri. (B.Se.)
- B.Sc. (Bic-Tech)
- Air Craft Maintenance Engg
- Aeronautical Engg.-
- MLT Degree Course
- B.Sc. on Hospitality and Hotel Admn
- Eleetrical/Power Engg.
- Mechanical Engg
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Electronic & Communication Engg
- Electronics & Telecommunication
- Social Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Information Technology
- B.Tech Agriculture
- Architecture (8. Tech)
- B.Sc Agriculture
- B.Sc IT
- B.Sc Fisheries
- B.Sc Forestry
- B.Sc Geology.
- B.Sc Home Science
- BA/B.Sc Environment & Ecology
- BA Animation and Computer Graphics
- BA.BSC Mass Comm/Journalism
- BBA, BCA
- B.A/B.sc in Mass Communication
- P.G. DIPLOMA
- Marketing Management
- Business Admn
- Financial Management
- Foreign Trade
- Banking & Insuranc
- Finance & Taxation
- Advertising & Salesmanship
- Human & Management Retailing
- Hospital Management
- Waste Management
- NGO Management
- Herbal Science
- SHG Management
- Social Science.
- MSc Medical Bio Chemistry
- MSc Medical Physiology
- MSc Medical Micro Biology
- MSc Medical Anatomy
- MSc Physics
- MSc Chemistry
- MSc Mathematics
- MA/MSC Environment &Ecology
- MSc Biotechnology
- MSc Horticulture
- MSc Floriculture
- MSc Geology
- MPT (Master in Physiotherapy)
- MSc (MLT)
- MSc IT
- M.Sc Forestry.
ANNEXURE – VI
Procedure for selection of stipendiaries by the State for the Diploma Level Courses and above.
- The stipendiary must conform to the eligibility and other conditions laid down under the Rules for Stipend and Book-grant.
- Respective Department of the State Government will advertise in English in a more widely circulated paper of the State once in a year at an appropriate time.
- The advertisement shall give pertinent details, about scheme and the certificates, etc. required to be submitted along with the application form.
- Selection should be made purely on merit subject to the State quotas and reservation for SC, ST and OBC dovetailed by distribution to various courses/subjects. Selection of courses/subjects and the number of stipends for each course will have to depend on number of candidates available/subjects and the quality of such candidates and also the perceived need of the respective State.
- Students selected for grant of stipends/book-grants will be entitled to receive the same from the date of admission/date of commencement whichever is later till completion of the course.
- Stipend/book-grant will not be available for Internship or any practical training.
- Students pursuing dual course (Degree + PG) will be entitled to receive stipend for Degree Level only. Students selected for Diploma level will be entitled to receive stipend for Diploma Level only. The student cannot claim for continuance of stipend for Degree Level.
- The NEC shall release the fund directly to the State Governments. However, if it is brought to the notice of the NEC Secretariat that a candidate is enjoying stipends /scholarship from one or more source including that of NEC, the stipend and bookgrant shall be discontinued forthwith and the amount given in excess as per rule shall be recovered.
- Progress report shall be furnished to the NEC by the respective State Government concerned.
- For renewal of stipends (See Rules in Annexure VI) which is to be done on an annual basis each stipendiary will have to fill up a prescribed renewal form (specimen enclosed as Annexure VII obtainable from the State Government and get a recommendation thereon from the Head of the Institute concerned who shall do so strictly on the basis of satisfactory progress of the stipendiary. Failure in any academic year will render the stipend liable to be discontinued for that entire period of failure and future renewal should be recommended only from the date of passing to the next higher class /semester.
- A copy of the Sanction order along with the statement for the stipend renewed shall be endorsed to NEC .
- The State Government shall furnish a list of candidates selected for stipend every year for record giving all necessary details.
RULES FOR RENEWAL OF STIPEND AND BOOK GRANT
- Renewal of stipend and book-grant is not an automatic process and is subject to fulfillment of certain terms and conditions by the stipend holder.
- All requests for renewal of stipend and book-grant shall be made to the Director, Department concerned of the State Govt. in the prescribed form which can be obtained from the Head of the Institution/Dean, Student Welfare of the educational institution/University where the stipend holder is studying. At the beginning of each financial year a sufficient number of renewal forms for the stipend shall be sent by post to the Head of the Institution/Dean, Student Welfare of the education institution /university where the stipend holder is studying.
- Renewal of stipend and book-grant is generally for a period of one year i.e. from 1st April to 31st March of the next year.
- Stipend holders shall apply for renewal of stipend and book-grant on a yearly basis. However, stipend holders from the Medical Science stream may apply for renewal after completion of each professional examination.
- While applying for renewal the stipend holder shall fill up the renewal form completely. Marksheets, Pass Certificates for the previous year shall be enclosed. Ph.D/M.Phil students while applying for renewal shall enclose the latest progress report from the Guide countersigned by the Registrar. The filled in renewal forms shall be submitted to the Head of the educational institution for recommendation.
- The Head of the educational institution while recommending a case for renewal of stipend and book-grant shall clearly indicate whether the stipend holder has been promoted to the next year or not. Renewal cases of stipend holders who have not been promoted to the next year will not be forwarded for renewal.
- Renewal cases of stipend holders who are not promoted to the next year will not be considered for further renewal and names of such stipend holders shall be removed from the records.
- In case a stipend holder who failed in one or more subjects but is promoted to the next semester/year, such cases for renewal will be considered for renewal provided that the stipend holder clears all the back papers in the next examination. In all such cases for renewal a certificate in this regard from the Head of the Institution will accompany the request for subsequent renewal.
- Request for renewal of stipend holders who have changed their subject of study will not be entertained for renewal if the student has availed the stipend for the previous course or part of it.
- Request for renewal of stipend of such stipend holders who have changed their Institution of study will not be entertained for renewal.
- Request for renewal of stipend and book-grant in respect of stipend holders who discontinue their study for any period for any reason other than on medical reason will not be entertained. Stipend holders who discontinue their study on medical ground will submit a medical certificate from the District Medical Officer/head of the Medical Institutions in this regard, clearly indicating the course and period of such break in study while applying for renewal.
- Extension of stipend and book-grant beyond the prescribed period of study will not be entertained. However, if such extension is due to reasons beyond the control of the stipend holders, then such cases may be considered for extension based on the merit of the individual case. All such requested extension must be accompanied by a Certificate issued in this regard by the Head of the educational Institution as in the format given in the renewal form
- M.Phil stipend is sanctioned for a period of one and half year and is extendable by a period of six months/one semester based on the recommendation of the Head of the Institution.
- Ph.D stipends and book-grants are sanctioned normally for a period of 3 years which is extendable for another one year based on the recommendation of the Head of the Institution.
- Final year stipend holders wishing to draw the final disbursement of stipend and book-grant after completion of their courses directly from the State Government will be required to submit a recommendation in this regard from the Head of the Institution.