Shillong: Destination for Higher Learning
Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, lies on the eastern part of the state, perched at an altitude of 1,520 meters (4,990 feet) above sea level. The city derives its name from Leishyllong, the Superpower or God who is believed to reside on the Shillong peak, overlooking the city.
Shillong, lying in the cradle of tall pine conifers and pineapple shrubs, with undulating terrain, surrounding hills and abundant greenery, is ideal for educational pursuits. The weather conditions are perfect and could stir intellectual and creative thoughts. The local students who are by passing Shillong to go further a field are missing the community like home that is so inspiring to a young tribal aspirant and that only a home town like Shillong can offer.. Besides, studying in big cities has its own costs: exposure to violence, safety issues, distance from one's close knit family ties etc. A quiet hill town like Shillong, on the other hand, ensures that none of these threaten students who have chosen to study here.
In 1874, on the formation of Assam as a Chief Commissioner's Province, it was chosen as the headquarters of the new administration because of its convenient location between the Brahmaputra and Surma valleys and more so because the climate of Shillong was much cooler than tropical India. Shillong remained the capital of undivided Assam until the creation of the new state of Meghalaya on January 21, 1972, when Shillong became the capital of Meghalaya Assam moved its capital to Dispur in Guwahati.
Weather Conditions : Pleasant, pollution-free; Summers: The temperature varies from 25-23 degrees Celsius; Winters: The temperature varies from 10 - 4 degree Celsius.
Journey to Shillong, the Capital City of Meghalaya
Airport : Umroi Airport is 15 km from Shillong the nearest airport for 75 seated aircraft. Guwahati international Airport is the l28 km from Shillong can be reached by bus or car. Daily buses also connect Shillong with Guwahati airport. Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd, under the aegis of the Government of Meghalaya, has commenced regular helicopter flights connecting Shillong and Tura to Guwahati.
Railhead : Guwahati is the nearest railhead and is well-connected to the rest of the country.
Road Transport : Both deluxe and ordinary bus services are available. Meghalaya Road Transport also runs regular bus services in Meghalaya.
Staying at Shillong in Meghalaya Shillong being the capital city of Meghalaya has a good line of accommodation facility in and around itself. You may not get too luxurious category of accommodation in Shillong. But, the accommodations available are good enough to provide you a perfect comfort.
Shillong is fast emerging as an educational hub for the entire North eastern region. Important educational institutes like Indian Institute of Management, National Institute of Fashion Technology Shillong and North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, the English and Foreign Languages University, Shillong Campus, St. Edmund's College, St. Anthony's College, Shillong and several other Colleges and Technical Institutions have been established here. St. Edmund's is a century old educational institute which has produced many eminent personalities in different spheres of life. Thus Shillong has potentially great educational institutions that are gateways to success.
Premiere Indian Institutes :-
- Indian Institute of Management Shillong
- North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences
- National Institute of Fashion Technology Shillong.
- North Eastern Hill University, Shillong.
- School of Post Graduate Studies, Central Agricultural University, Umroi.
Colleges of Excellence:-
- St. Edmund's College, Shillong
- St. Anthony's College, Shillong
- St. Mary's College, Shillong
- Lady Keane College.
- Shillong College.
Other Important Schools, Colleges and Universities:-
- Sankardev College, Shillong.
- Union Christian College, Umiam.
- Women's College, Shillong
- Synod College, Shillong.
- Shillong Commerce College.
- Martin Luther Christian University, Shillong.
- Pine Mount School, Shillong
- St. Edmund's School, Shillong
- St. Anthony's Higher Secondary School, Shillong.
- Loreto Convent School, Shillong.
- St. Mary's School, Shillong.
- St. Margaret's School, Shillong.
- Seven Set Higher Secondary School, Shillong.
- St. Peter's School, Shillong
- B.K Bajoria School, Shillong.
- All Saints Higher Secondary School, Shillong.
- Army School, Shillong.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya NEHU School, Shillong.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya School, Laitkor, Shillong.