DHTE consists of 6 branches namely:
- Establishment cell
- College cell
- Scholarship cell
- Technical cell
- Budget & Planning cell.
- Account cell.
- Establishment cell deals with all establishment matters including pension, DFP rules, sanction of leave, NCC etc.
- Colleges cell deal with all matters relating to different colleges, like recruitment, approval of governing bodies, sanction and release of salary, sanction of CPF, DCRG, enrollment in colleges and universities including professional education.
- Scholarship cell deals with all matters relating to student's scholarship.
- Accounts cell deals with the payroll of the employees of the directorate, handling of cash, clearing of bills, audit inspection report, stationary, TA/DA bills, contigency bills, civil deposits, medical treatment, GPF, maintenance of Govt. vechicles and other accounts misc matters
- Budget & Planning cell deals with all matters relating to budget & Planning such as preparation of budget estimates, preparation of plan document during the five year plan period including annual plan, preparation & submission of quaterly expenditure statements, allotment of funds, plan allocation, LOA, budgetary control, midterm plan appraisal, submission of annual expenditure statements etc.
Technical cell deals with:
- Allocation of seats to the students of Meghalaya in the Engineering colleges outside the State from the GOI quota.
- Admission to the polytechnics of Shillong, Tura, Jowai.
- Admission to the diploma courses outside state through GOI quota.
- Stipend to the Engineering and diploma students.
- Matters relating to recruitment of teachers and enrollment of students in polytechnics.
- Vocational Education
- House building advance/motor car advance and scooter advance
- Maintenance of buildings of government institutions including schemes such as NLCPR, ACA, SPA etc