Role and Function of DERT
The Directorate of Educational Research and Training is responsible for the overall management, supervision and monitoring long term and short-term training for Teachers at different DIETS in the State. This Directorate looks after the academic professionalism of the Teacher Educators and the Teachers in the state who are in turn directly responsible for imparting quality training and education to the children.
All Academic matters of the Department of Education are entrusted to this Directorate including assisting the Meghalaya Board of School Education, in the Preparation of the School Curriculum as well as the Learning Materials in the form of Teachers Guidebooks, and Workbooks for learners in different subject areas offered in School education. Besides these, all in-service training matters, conduct of Workshops, Seminars, Research and Evaluation, in liaison with the NCERT, NERIE, NUEPA, ERC, EFLU, SIE, CCRT and other agencies. The DERT also implements the National State Talent Search Scheme, Revision of curriculum, textbook, Research and Teacher Training, Educational Technology through EDUSAT, Evaluation, MBOSE Curriculum and related learning materials for all the levels of School Education Vocational Guidance and Counseling, documentation, dissemination and publication of information etc. fall under the purview of this Directorate.
Apart from the above activities, the Directorate also conducts Examination for the Diploma in Elementary Education and Certificate in Elementary Educational Courses and a host of short term training Programmes.
Main Activities Functions of DERT
- The functions, powers, jurisdiction and subjects of the Directorate of Educational-Research and Training as defined by Government through its Notifications issued under No.EDN.220/95/27 dated 4/7/97 are outlined as under. Establishment matters pertaining to Government Training Schools and District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETS).
- Establishment matters of the Directorate Office.
- Non-Government / Elementary Teachers Training Institutes.
- Planning, Budgeting, allotment and sanction.
- Maintenance Grant-in-aid for Non-Government Training Institutions.
- Non-recurring Grant-in-Aid for Non-Government Training Institution.
- All In -Services Training Matters.
- Conduct of Workshops, Seminars, etc.
- Education Technology.
- Meghalaya Board of School Education (MBOSE) and all related matters.
- Monitoring of implementation of the National Council of Teachers Education (NCTE) Act.
- National and State Talent Search Examinations and all related matters.
- Documentation, dissemination and publication.
- Curriculum and Instructional materials development for all levels of School Education.